Contents of Article
- Meet Fresh Step cat litter.
- What types of cat litter does Fresh Step offer?
- Where to Buy Fresh Step
- What do customers think about Fresh Step?
- Fresh Step Scented Extreme Scoopable Cat Litter Review
Meet Fresh Step cat litter.
Fresh Step is one of the most well-known and popular brands on the market. Clorox launched Fresh Step cat litter in April of 1984. Since the brand’s inception, it has been an industry leader, directly competing with Tidy Cats, another long-lasting household name.
Fresh Step’s unique proposition centers around the litter’s odor control abilities. They claim that their formulas eliminate odors for 10 days.
To achieve this, their litter contains a patented odor neutralizer that inhibits bacterial growth for odor control, and their scoopable litters contain odor-eliminating carbon for maximum odor control.
Fresh Step also positions itself as a philanthropic brand. According to their website, the makers of Fresh Step are committed to getting more cats into forever homes. Each year, they donate over “1 million scoops” of litter to shelters around the country.
What types of cat litter does Fresh Step offer?
Fresh Step doesn’t create any biodegradable litter or pellet-style products, but their selection of clay litter products is one of the largest on the market. In addition to popular clumping clay, the litter lineup includes non-clumping clay and crystal litter.
The brand partners with Febreze to offer a line of clumping litter infused with Febreze fragrances.
Fresh Step products are available at a range of prices. Most fall into the mid-range price category.
- Free & Gentle Unscented – Clumping clay litter with no added fragrance.
- Simply Unscented Lightweight – Lightweight clumping clay litter with no added fragrances.
- Simply Unscented – Unscented clumping clay litter formulated for total odor control.
- Ultra Unscented – Unscented clumping clay litter formulated to prevent bacterial odor.
- Triple Action Unscented – Unscented clumping clay litter designed to defeat odors by neutralizing urine, feces, and bacterial odors.
- Triple Action Scented – Scented clumping clay litter designed to defeat litter box smell by neutralizing urine, feces, and bacterial odors.
Clumping Litter with Febreze®
- Hawaiian Aloha™ Scented with the power of Febreze® – This clumping clay litter leaves behind a tropical scent.
- Multi-Cat Scented Litter with the power of Febreze® – This scented clumping clay litter is concentrated for multi-cat homes.
- Odor Shield Scented Litter with the power of Febreze® – The original Fresh Step clumping clay litter with an added Febreze® scent.
- Extreme Scented Litter with the power of Febreze® – Scented clumping clay litter designed to eradicate odors.
- Extreme Lightweight Scented Litter with the power of Febreze® – This scented clumping clay litter is designed to neutralize odors and is lighter than other clay products.
- Total Control Scented Litter with the power of Febreze® – Odor-neutralizing scented clumping clay litter.
- Non-Clumping Clay Litter – Highly absorbent non-clumping clay litter.
- Crystals – Litter made from silica gel crystals.
Where to Buy Fresh Step
Fresh Step products are available at chains like Walmart, Target, and major grocery stores. You can also find it at pet retailers like PetSmart and Petco, as well as through various online retailers.
Fresh Step has a Paw Points Rewards program that allows you to earn points for each purchase. You can redeem these points for free litter, toys, coupons, and sweepstakes entries. You can also donate your Paw Points to an animal shelter of your choice.
What do customers think about Fresh Step?
To get an idea of what people think about Fresh Step cat litter, let’s take a look at a few customer reviews on a popular product.
On Chewy, Fresh Step Extreme Odor Control Scented Cat Litter has a 4.6 out of 5 star rating based on over 290 reviews. 96% of reviewers say they’d recommend this product.
Here’s what customers say about this popular formula.
“I have been buying litter for 30+ years. we have bought pretty much every brand on the market. since the fresh step has brought out the litter with febreze added to it I am happy. the litter itself lasts quite a while and clumps till it is used up. urine odor isn’t any problem. I have always had several cats 2-6.. everybody used the same boxes(2) that are on the porch. this is pretty good for dust in the air when pouring and cleaning. when it is used up you know that it isn’t clumping anymore. when I am given a choice of what to buy this product is high on the list of keepers.” – g626
“Fresh Step clumps the pee into big balls that are easy to scoop out, the poop is easy to sift out, the smell is non urine and fresh, the litter lasts longer than a week, and this litter doesn’t bother my allergies. We love fresh step febreze and so does our cat. Most people do not know we have a cat until they see her or we tell them. That is the litter you want in your house, the kind people cannot smell.” – TexasMom
“My eyes started watering when I opened the box. The fragrance was so strong I threw it in the trash can out side and could still smell it in my house for days. I dont know if somehow I got a bad batch with overly perfumed litter, but I would never subject my cat to that much perfum. I will defenately only buy unsented from now on.” – Liza
“They promise a lower dust formula – where is it? This is the dustiest cat litter I ever had. I have to dust the area around the litter box almost every day and also this big bag is really difficult to handle. It’s already a hassle to open it and the opening of the bag is very tight. Overall not a good idea to buy these big bags. I will not buy them again. But the odor control is good, no question.” – widigonzales
The formula offers “extreme odor elimination” through the inclusion of CarbonPLUS and antimicrobial agents. It’s also formulated with Febreze for added fragrance and odor control. Fresh Step describes the aroma as a “mountain spring” scent.
Cats typically don’t like scented litter. Particularly if your cat is allergic to perfumes, this isn’t a good choice for most fragrance-sensitive kitties. According to the reviews, the fragrance is strong, so it might also irritate sensitive humans.
The litter is formulated with Fresh Step ClumpLock™ Technology. It locks in liquids and odors on contact, making tight clumps that are easy to scoop. Unlike some other clumping clay formulas, this litter doesn’t appear to stick to the inner surfaces of the litter box.
Fresh Step describes this litter as a low-dust formula. While generally, customers agree that the litter produces minimal dust, a handful make claims to the contrary. Those who did have a bad experience with this product and dust say that it created massive clouds that, combined with the strong Febreze fragrance, irritated their respiratory systems.
The litter is made in the United States.
It’s available in a range of package sizes: 14-lb, 20-lb, 25-lb, and 42-lb. Fresh Step also offers this formula in convenient 34-lb and 38-lb 4-packs.
Excluding shipping, the litter costs between $.43 and $.47 per pound on Chewy. Prices will vary based on where you purchase the litter and which package size you choose.