Contents of Article
- Let’s learn more about Tidy Cats cat litter.
- What types of cat litter does Tidy Cats offer?
- Where to Buy Tidy Cats Cat Litter
- What do customers think about Tidy Cats cat litter?
- Tidy Cats Scoop Instant Action Immediate Odor Control Cat Litter Review
Let’s learn more about Tidy Cats cat litter.
Tidy Cats is one of the first cat litter brands – the brand was created over 50 years ago by the same company that sold the first commercial cat litter. It’s currently owned by Nestlè Purina.
In 1947, a 27-year-old Navy veteran suggested that his neighbor use an absorbent clay called Fuller’s Earth in her cat’s litter box. It was a frigid January, and the neighbor’s sand pile had frozen. She’d come asking for sand, but Ed Lowe had a different idea. And it worked.
The highly-absorbent clay was a welcome alternative to sand, sawdust, ashes, and soil. Ed Lowe packed the clay into bags marked “Kitty Litter” and began sharing it with local stores and pet parents around the country. Before long, cat owners asked for it by name.
By 1964, Edward Lowe Industries introduced the first nationally produced and marketed cat litter: Tidy Cat.
What types of cat litter does Tidy Cats offer?
Tidy Cats is a well-established brand offering a tremendous selection of cat litter products. Most of these are clumping clay litter. For those who prefer non-clumping litter, Tidy Cats has five different non-clumping clay litter products. Tidy Cats also provides a small selection of alternative biodegradable litter.
With an extensive cat litter offering and solutions tailored towards unique cat needs and personal preferences, it can be a challenge to choose the right Tidy Cats litter.
The Tidy Cats site has a Litter Selector, which makes the process easier. You’ll answer a few questions about yourself and your cats and Tidy Cats will recommend a product that matches your needs.
Tidy Cats LightWeight
- Lightweight 24/7 Performance Cat Litter – Triple odor protection – ammonia, urine, and feces.
- Lightweight 4-in-1 Strength Cat Litter – A lightweight litter that attacks and neutralizes the 3 key odors and offers powerful clumping.
- Lightweight Instant Action Cat Litter – Helps trap odors from the start.
- Lightweight With Glade® Tough Odor Solutions Clean Blossoms™ Cat Litter – A lightweight clumping clay litter infused with Glade® fragrance.
- Lightweight with Glade ® Tough Odor Solutions Clear Springs® Cat Litter – A lightweight clumping clay litter infused with Glade® fragrance.
Tidy Cats Clumping
- 24/7 Performance Cat Litter – Clumping clay litter that controls the three key types of odors: ammonia, urine, and feces.
- 4-in-1 Strength Cat litter – Attacks and neutralizes the 3 key odors and offers powerful clumping.
- Glade® Tough Odor Solutions Cat Litter – Clumping clay litter infused with a Glade® scent.
- Instant Action Cat Litter – Helps trap odors from the start.
Tidy Cats Non-Clumping
- Non-Clumping 24/7 Performance Cat Litter – A non-clumping clay litter that neutralizes feces, urine, and ammonia odors.
- Non-Clumping Glade® Tough Odor Solutions Cat Litter – Non-clumping clay litter infused with Glade® fragrance.
- Non-Clumping Instant Action Cat Litter – Non-clumping clay litter that traps odors from the start.
Tidy Cats Alternative
- Original Formula Yesterday’s News Cat Litter – A pellet litter made from recycled newspapers, magazines, and other paper products.
- Softer Texture Yesterday’s News Fresh Scent Cat Litter – A softer version of the original formula. This litter is infused with an added fragrance.
- Softer Texture Yesterday’s News Unscented Cat Litter – Soft paper pellets made without any added fragrances.
- Pure Nature Cat Litter – A non-clumping litter made from cedar, pine, and corn.
Breeze® From Tidy Cats
The system includes a specially-designed litter box that allows urine to pass through onto a super absorbent pad,while solid waste remains in the top litter tray. It comes with Tidy Cats Breeze pellets, which are made with zeolite and only work in the Breeze litter box.
Tidy Cats Direct
This disposable litter box is filled with about a month’s worth of Tidy Cats 24/7 Performance clumping clay litter. It ships straight to your door.
Where to Buy Tidy Cats Cat Litter
Tidy Cats litter is widely distributed and easy to find. It’s available at any leading retailer and online.
What do customers think about Tidy Cats cat litter?
Tidy Cats is one of the most familiar brands in cat litter. Their products are time-tested and reliable. While Tidy Cats is a generally well-regarded brand, it’s faced controversy in the last few years.
Numerous accounts on social media, product reviews, and in blog posts describe serious health consequences following the use of Tidy Cats Lightweight litter. The symptoms described include wheezing, coughing, sneezing, and even bloody urine and noses.
Tidy Cats has remained adamant that all of their litter products are completely safe. Every formula is extensively tested and reviewed by a veterinary toxicologist.
A Purina representative told Snopes that: “Tidy Cats Lightweight litter is safe for cats. We understand cat owners’ concerns when they see negative posts on social media, but the rumor about Tidy Cats LightWeight litter is not true. Unfortunately, social posts like this are often anonymous, based on hearsay, or contain unsupported information. People empathize and share the posts, which unfortunately spreads more confusion.”
Whether these claims are rumors or indicative of a serious threat is still unclear.
To understand what most customers think about Tidy Cats cat litter, let’s see what they say about one of the brand’s most popular formulas.
The Instant Action clumping clay litter is a top choice. On Chewy, over 560 reviews have earned this product a 4.6 out of 5 star rating. 94% of reviewers say they’d recommend this product.
Here’s what real customers have to say:
“This litter really does clump together very well. It has a fresh smell and doesn’t have any dust when you scoop it out . The only down side to this product is that it tracks very easy. Our kitten may be messy, but not that messy. So I just keep my vacuum handy.” – Urban
“This is the best litter I have ever used. Immediately covers the smell of waste, doesn’t fill the home with the smell of litter, and is mostly dust-free, so I’m not dying while scooping it out! My picky kitten loves it, too!” – Brittany
“The odor control is good, but it’s not great with urine. Turns into concrete really fast with my 3 cats, even with scooping regularly” – Holly79
“I like Tidy Cats because it clumps and the price is right BUT to say it is 99% dust free or that it is non tracking is not accurate at all. Altho’ I love my cats I’ve been tempted to get rid of the them because of all the mess the litter causes.Yes, I’ve tried other brands.” – Donna
This clumping clay litter is made for those who need litter that neutralizes odors instantly. In addition to absorbing odor and liquid immediately, it has an extended-release deodorizing system for continued freshness.
Despite the litter not being marketed as a scented product, it does contain added fragrance. The litter includes small blue granules made with Purina’s “Aromaburst Technology”. These moisture-activated granules release a floral and herbal scent.
Unlike some other products that have tiny granules for tight clumping, this litter has grains of a moderate size. While you couldn’t describe the texture as sand-like, the litter is fine enough to please picky or sensitive cats. The larger granule size means that it doesn’t clump as well as some other ultra-fine litter. The clumps are effective, but might not always be rock-solid. This type of litter is less likely to stick in the bottom of the litter box.
Tracking appears to be a common problem with this litter.
According to Tidy Cats, all of their litter products are low-dust. They range from approximately 99.6% – 99.9% dust-free. Instant Action litter is 99.6% dust-free. Like all Tidy Cats litter, this product has an anti-dust coating designed to help prevent dust particles from escaping each granule.
It’s manufactured in the United States by Nestlè Purina Petcare Company.
The litter is available in a variety of package sizes and styles, so it’s easy to choose one that’s easy for you to handle. Tidy Cats offers the product in a 14-lb jug, 20-lb jug, 27-lb pail, 40-lb box, and 35-lb pail.
The price of this product depends on where you buy and which packaging size and style you choose. On Chewy, the litter currently costs between $.37/lb and $.53/lb, excluding shipping.